In the spring of 1892 on March 25th, Colonia Dublan, Mexico, twins were born to Archibald Waller Overton and Caroline Sorensen Buchanan. The only "doctor" available was brother Harry Payne, a son-in-law of Archibald, and his only qualifications were that he was clean and neat and full of faith. The twins were named Earl and Myrl. They had two older sisters, Lyle and Mae (Anna Delilah and Mary Ann).

Archibald decided to move Caroline and her children back to Glenwood in 1894, to rejoin his other families. They lived in Glenwood until Earl and Myrl started to school, then moved to Venice, Utah in the spring of 1902. The father was getting old and Caroline and her children had to struggle hard to make a living. Earl was put to herding cows on foot, which was quite a job, because he had to keep the cows grazing along the river and canal banks and roadways and up in the foothills, but not allow them to get into the fields or on the property of others. This job began in April after school was out, and lasted to October every year. An older brother, Henry, finally took pity on the boy and made it possible for him to get a horse. As he grew up, Earl helped on the farms, milked cows, worked on the threshing machine and was a willing and hard worker at anything he could find to do.

The year that Earl and Myrl were ready to graduate from Eighth Grade, a smallpox epidemic broke out in the Venice school and the school was closed in December for the rest of the school year. In order to graduate - which was an important event - every eighth grader had to take the County examinations in Richfield. The twins were deeply disappointed and afraid that they couldn't qualify, but with special tutoring by the principal of the school, James L. Despain, they passed the tests and were rated among the top students in the County.

About the first of September that year, Earl received a letter from the Sevier County School Superintendent, P. D. Jensen: "By reason of your qualifications, you are given a four year scholarship to the University of Utah. Be there September 19 to register Resp.... "

"How can I go away to school and leave mother to take care of father and the chores ? " was the thought that kept drumming in the mind of the excited boy. After much family discussion, it was decided that he must take the opportunity offered to him. So the family rallied to his support and took charge of things at home and he went to Salt Lake City to live with his sister Mary and her husband Joseph Black, and started his University career. He was very apt at carpentry and excited about medicine, and had a most wonderful experience that year. But his college career came to a sudden end In the spring he received word that his father was sick, mentally and physically, and his mother needed him desperately. So he put his dreams behind him and went home. His father lingered on for three or four years before he passed away.

In the meantime, his sister Ethel, and her husband, Mahonri Breinholt, who were refugees from the Mexican Revolution, had come to Venice and Mahonri, who was an expert builder, helped Earl build a nice little home for his parents. But Earl's dreams of College had to be abandoned, because he felt his duty was at home with his mother and father.

Earl loved life. He worked hard, played hard, had a fine sense of humor, loved baseball, basketball, dancing and dramatics, and took enthusiastic part in all of them.

He courted Florene Davis, a very talented, capable and beautiful girl. They rode the Train, a most marvelous experience, all the way to Manti and were married in the Temple there on February 7, 1917, rode the Train all the way back and had a most wonderful reception in Venice February 9th, his father's birthday. (His father had passed away a year or so before this time. )

Earl built a small home for his mother near Myrl, who had married George Brugger. He and Flo moved into the family home with all of their wedding finery, and began a good marriage.

He purchased land and set about making it productive. They also set about raising a family of wonderful children. In Venice was born to them: Forrest D, Maxine, Deane, Belle, Gloria Maye, Jerry W, all of them bright and talented.

Then came the depression and everything toppled around them. They struggled, along with everyone else at that time, to maintain themselves but it seemed to be a losing battle. In the summer of 1933 they decided to try a new angle. Earl's craving for schooling took hold again He went back to high school for a year and in that time accumulated enough credits to matriculate as a college student (The system and rules had changed since his former college experience. ) He then found sale for his livestock and property and with his big family, he and Flo went to Logan, Utah in August 1934, bought a home there, and he registered at Utah State Agricultural College.

He had been encouraged by Senator Murdock to go into a Forest Service project training that was being contemplated at that time with the promise of placement when he completed college. Through rough sledding, he stayed with it for two years, when the program fell through.

So he began looking for a farm again. In 1936 he sold the home in Logan for $1000 more than he had paid for it, which gave him some cash to start with and to try again. That fall they purchased a sixty acre piece of land in Tremonton, Utah with a fairly good house on it. They set about fixing the house and yard. There was plenty of room to run for their growing and expanding family, and plenty to do for everyone. David Earl was born in 1939.

Along with farming, Earl did field work for the A. A. A., Box Elder County Agricultural Organization, and got acquainted with many people in the County. He also worked on building the Storage and Defense Depot in Clearfield, Utah in 1940-41, which the Government was preparing for war activities. He and another man drove from Tremonton to Clearfield daily.

About this time the children began to find companions, marry and move to homes of their own. After a move to Deweyville and one to Garland, Earl and Flo bought some land and a lovely home in Elwood, where they still live (1973).

In July 1963 they received a call to the Florida Mission of the L. D. S. Church. They responded willingly and left for the Mission Home 11 Aug 1963.

Quote from Earl's Journal: "It was an experience we will never forget. I never did imagine it could be such a thrill. It was lots of hard work, but we were given much support by our dear family, and our many friends. Very much encouragement came from our great Mission President and his good wife, brother and sister Ned Winder, and a lot of love and respect from many young Elders. And above all, the Guiding influence of our Kind Heavenly Father.

"After visiting a large part of Florida and working in five different Branches and being in the Branch Presidency among some most choice people, we also met some who would make your heart aches But the highlight of our mission would always be when we were able to help someone to an understanding of the Great Plan of Life and Salvation, and were able to take them into the Waters of Baptism.

"We returned from our mission in June 1965, with a feeling in our hearts that we had been serving in a cause that was directed by our Heavenly Father.

"We have enjoyed living in our nice home in Elwood. We have spent some time in hospitals, but so much care has been given us there that we are still around, and cannot complain. It is such a pleasure to be near loved ones and friends, and enjoying our church work. "

This is a Couple who have supported each other all the way, and have made a fine contribution to life and to the Church by their own efforts and by the fine family they have produced.

Uncle Earl, the last living child of Archibald Waller Overton Buchanan, We love you and your Lovely companion, dear Aunt Flo. [Earl passed away Aug. 5, 1976, Flo died 11 Mar. 1980.]



This short history was given by Uncle Earl verbally at the reunion and was not written with publication in mind. He reluctantly agreed to let us produce it. We felt it best to leave it as he said it and not try to make any changes or corrections. We did add a few things in parentheses for clarity. We wish to express deepest appreciation to Uncle Earl for this history.

"Just a brief sketch of our family history. Grandmother Buchanan (Nancy Bache) was living in Nauvoo at the time the Prophet was martyred. Grandfather (John Buchanan-1786) had died a few years before thru exposure to the cold, "probably pneumonia ". Father (Archibald Waller Overton Buchanan-1830) was just a boy when he first met the prophet and admired him as an athlete, which he really was, but as father grew a little older he admired him for the real man that he was. When the Mormon people were expelled from Nauvoo and started West, Grandmother wanted to be with the first companies. She had lost her oldest son, Lorenzo Dow, " and her four oldest daughters were making homes for themselves, mostly in Iowa. But Uncle John, father's older brother, was ready to go. He was just twenty-one. In Winter Quarters, July 1846, Captain James Allen of the U. S. Army found Brigham Young and requested 500 men to help in the War with Mexico. When the Mormon Battalion was organized Uncle John was taken in the Battalion. This left Grandma with Father, just a sixteen year-old boy and one younger daughter who wanted to leave for the West. Grandmother's judgment was to wait until John returned so that she could have the support of both boys. Father would also be a little older then. But John did not return until the last part of 1851 or early part of 1852 and he was very tired and discouraged. But Grandmother's motto was, "Never say Fail, " and with this encouragement that she gave, and good food and rest, they prepared to leave in the spring of 1852. "And oh ! What a trip ! I could spend hours on this " But Grandmother drove one yoke of oxen, John and his young wife drove one yoke of oxen and Father drove one yoke of oxen and they wended their way with Captain Howell's Company.

After many, many sore trials they landed in the Salt Lake Valley, September 13, 1852. They were headed South and landed in San Pete County and settled in Manti and helped colonize that part of the country. Father farmed, herded cattle, acted as guard against the Indians, and served in the Black Hawk Indian War. He was really a friend of the Indians and could talk their language fluently. They learned to love him and this love and friendship lasted all through his life. The Indians called him, "Unca Kibe, " "Unca Kibe Atawatts, " "Big Red Mountain Boy. " Oh ! I could tell you so many things, but - - - no time.

He married his first bride, Helen Amelia Whiting in 1854. "A beautiful young bride. " They had six children. Polygamy was being practiced and encouraged by the leaders of the Church and it was upheld by the government at that time, so Father married three other wives.

He married his second wife, Mary Ann Brown, in 1860 and she had eight children.

His third wife was Anna Maria Larson whom he married in 1870 and she had six children.

In 1876 he married his fourth wife, Carolina Sophia Sorensen, and she had seven children.

Father did a great deal of work on the Manti Temple, mostly in the quarry.

In the early part of 1871 Father, with his oldest son Archie, made a trip down in Sevier County around Richfield and Glenwood. They settled in Glenwood and bought a small farm and planted some grain In the fall he returned to Manti and brought all of his families to Glenwood. Father being a High Priest was called to be Presiding Elder for some time over that Branch. In 1874 Brigham Young called a group in Glenwood to establish and live the United Order and what a challenge that was. I could spend an hour on that story. They accomplished a wonderful job. They showed the idea at its best and were really complemented by the Church Authorities. This lasted for quite a number of years and was very successful, but about this time the government became disturbed over the fact that many of the Mormon men had more than one wife. The government enacted laws to prohibit this practice and those who wouldn't leave their families were arrested and sent to jail for at least six months or more. They suffered privations such as cold and hunger--often dying through exposure.

Father, like many others, would not desert his families. He loved every one of them and also those four wonderful Mothers. I personally knew and loved every one of them. Therefore, he moved from place to place trying to keep his presence unknown. Occasionally he would go home to see his loved ones and learn how they were getting along. No doubt his boys missed their father's love and counsel and advice. But they had to take the responsibilities of running the farm and providing for the needs of their mothers and small brothers and sisters. The Marshals were constantly looking for the men. One time in particular, a knock came on Aunt Amelia's front door. Two U. S. Officers stood in front of her and asked if her husband was home. She said, "No, he isn't " They pushed her aside and searched the place inside and out. Father and Mother (Carolina Sophia Sorensen) and three children had just left for Rabbit Valley (Wayne County). While in Wayne County our sister, Theda, and her husband, Archie Oldroyd, our brother-in-law, were very good to them. Theda was Remliafs??? daughter. Mother and Father just had three children living then: Delilah, Mary and little Ammon. They had lost two little boys with that "Dreadful disease Diphtheria. " Then while they were working and planning just what best to do, little Ammon was struck with this same dreadful affliction. Such little they had to fight this terrible disease! It was nearly always sure death and as this little brother lay dying, word came, "The Marshals are coming." They could be seen for miles for they always came in a two-wheeled cart with one horse. This gave Father a chance to hide under black currant bushes along a fence row. As they were searching, one of the officers glanced up the road and saw a man on a horse. It was a neighbor who was trying to help. He was kind of laying down on his horse as if he was trying to get away. He let these fellows get a good look at him and then away he went. They immediately took after him, thinking it was Father. He ran them all over the flat and up near the hills. He would slow down and look back and then he would lay whip to his horse and away he would go again. He ran them until their horse was given out. Then he stopped and got off his horse and sat down on a rock. They rode up to him and they could see their mistake for he was just a young fellow. They said, "What the hell are you doing? " He said, "Oh ! I've just been chasing a couple of coyotes. " They were so mad they headed back for Sevier. Our little brother died and Mother was broken-hearted and they were all sad, to say the least. The baby was buried on a little knoll which now is the Lyman Cemetery. Mother was about ready to give up. But Father's motto was never give up. He was a strong character and he wasn't about to go to jail for something that wasn't wrong when he entered it. Our brother Eugene was with them at this time and they decided to rig up two outfits and head for Colorado. When they reached Mancus, Colorado they met up with John R. Young and others who were getting ready to head for Old Mexico. There they were offered protection and a privilege to make a living. Their trip was hazardous and much sickness was prevalent. Father contracted Mountain Fever. Mother drove one team most of the way. They landed in Colonia Dublan, Mexico. Father worked in the Jackson flour mill and the family lived in a little log cabin with a dirt roof and floor. But they kept it clean. Here in this little humble home filled with love lien??? the 25th day of March 1892 the twins were born The last two children in Father's wonderful family. The midwife who officiated was Harry L. Payne - Helen's husband; our brother-in-law. I could write for hours, but I have taken too much time now.

In the Spring of 1894 Father was homesick for the rest of his family. So he made a trip back to Utah by train to April Conference and to see his wonderful family. He intended to induce them to go to Mexico, but everyone seemed so happy and everything looked so good that he decided to bring us back to Utah. In the meantime, the "Manifesto" had been passed and signed. We returned to Utah that Fall. Now, I have given you a glimpse of our history. I hope you will be able to read it all.

I have been thinking about genealogy for a long time but I never really realized the importance and magnitude, of this work and the importance of all of our greatest efforts in searching for the names of our kindred dead. Until about two years ago. I would like very much to have told you this a year ago when it was fresh on my mind, but I will never forget it.

On the 25th of May 1970 I was taken to the David O. McKay Hospital in Ogden suffering from pain and nausea. It was a bad heart attack. They gave me good care and in a few days I felt much better. About ten days later I was still in intensive care, I had another severe attack. They had me wired to a monitor so every heart beat could be recorded. When I came to at about 2:00 o'clock in the morning the doctor and two nurses were standing over me I was being fed intravenously. Oxygen was at their fingertips, blood transfusion ready, etc. etc I had been and was so very nauseated and so much chest pain! They had given me a heavy shot in the hip for nausea and one in my arm for pain. I was so weak and exhausted I could hardly move. As I partially opened my eyes I could see the doctor and nurses watching the monitor which was running wild. They didn't know it, but I could see the reflection in the window when the Venetian blind was pulled up. One of the nurses glanced over at the doctor and he shook his head as much as to say, "He can't last long, " I wasn't frightened, I thought if this is it, it will soon be over. The three filed quietly out of the room. The monitor was recording over their desk, one of the nurses returned and wiped my face and head which was covered with perspiration, the room was air-conditioned, so it was weakness. As she quietly left the room she closed the door. The room was totally dark, my head was tipped toward the door. I was resting and wide awake.

I thought I could see someone coming in the distance. As I watched the person drew nearer I recognized her as my mother. She looked so beautiful and much younger than I ever remembered Mother. Her hair was done so becoming and her clothes looked so nice. She stood right by my bedside. If I had not been so weak I could have taken her in my arms. But I was surprised, she wasn't smiling at me I wondered what I had done wrong, or was it something that I hadn't done? For Mother always had a smile for me. She raised her eyes, as if she was seeing something coming over us. I turned my eyes in the same direction, and here came the people-four and eight and twelve and more abreast coming right over us about 20 feet above us. They were horizontal, not standing upright. It looked like their mode of travel. And such beautiful people, their hair done so becoming, their robes were white and fit so beautifully. The men's robes were much plainer than the ladies'. The power of gravity didn't seem to have any effect on them, their robes fit beautifully and their eyes were beautiful; the blue-eyed ones beautiful blue, and the dark-eyed ones, the whites of their eyes just shone. Their hair done so becoming and they all looked so young, not over 25 or 30 years old, They kept coming and coming more and more. I was surprised again for none were smiling. They weren't frowning but they had such pleading expressions on their faces, like they were saying, "Can't you help us? Won't you do more ? Won't you try harder to help us? " They kept coming and coming There were hundreds and hundreds of them. I glanced up at Mother, who was still standing by my side, to see how she was taking it. She looked down at me and raised her brows as much as to say, "This is what I wanted you to see. " I glanced back up to see if they were still coming, but they were gone. Mother stood by my bedside for about one minute. She raised her hand as if to touch me or place her hand on my chest, but if she touched me I didn't feel it. I think I never shed so many tears at one time in all my life as I did from then till morning. The nurse came in just before daylight and said, "Oh ! You have been perspiring so much again, I will change your pillow."

Now, dear ones, I don't want you thinking that I think that I have lived a life good enough to have a direct revelation from our Heavenly Father, but I do think that my mother was given the privilege to come to my bedside and helped me to see some of our great responsibilities here on this earth. And you know my mother wasn't selfish, these weren't just her kinfolks, they belong to all of us. Mother always lived for services I hope that this will touch the hearts of all of us, and that we will all be more united in performing this great responsibility.